Monday 11 May 2009

Feel me

Met Ben, a friend i haven't seen since school. He was with his brother Jack who is blind.

Jack has been blind since birth and i have met him a couple of times when he was younger. But he is now about 14 and i didn't recognise him. He is one of those blind people who has strange looking eyes, so you can tell he is blind as soon as you meet him.

That might sound a harsh statement to make, but i once knew an old guy who went blind in his 50's and apart from slight fogging of his eyeballs you wouldn't really know until you saw him moving around.

It got me thinking. How do people who have been blind since birth distinguish sexuality ?.
He doesn't know what light and dark is, or colours or things like clouds, even a fly means nothing to him because he can't touch it and get a point of reference.
How can you tell the difference between men and women without actually getting to feel them. and when you do, what about gay and straight?. You surely can 't go by sound.

One of the women at work has a deep voice and sounds like a man. Some of my mates sound like women. Some men are hairy and others smooth. Unless you have a good feel you can't tell can you?
This is the way my mind works sometimes. I have some ridiculous thought and then run with it for the rest of the day.
And in my thoughts feeling my way round people generally means touching up something like this. Not realistic is it?
Even when i have a serious though provoking idea, sex rears it's ugly head and takes over again.

4 comments:

Beej said...

Did you know... I actually never would have thought of that at all. And its a really good point!! I think if something like that were to be studied it could be a really good point to dispel the idea that being gay is a choice...

Hope your havin a great day

B xo

(LMAO word verification- obbsest)

Michael said...

Yeh, i need to find a blind gay person to ask this question, it's been bugging me ever since.

Nice to hear from you B

No i'm having a crap day.
But that's life i suppose.
Ask me again friday night and i'll probably answer differently
;-)

Beej said...

Hahaha and by differently do you mean drunkenly? ... Im having a shit one myself lol My flatmate just moved out. She got a job in a different city :(

Michael said...

Poor you, all alone in an empty flat ?
now that sparks and interesting fantasy ;-)