Tuesday 26 May 2009

Gym Bunnies

Steve's dad has opened a gym.
He looks like a wrestler, has tattoos on every available piece of skin (yes, even there apparently), has a head like a billiard ball and looks like the top half of his body came from the incredible hulk and the bottom from mini me. Although he is very nice to me I wouldn’t want to cross him or meet him up a dark alleyway.
I hear he is the type of bodybuilder who uses drugs to get his physique rather than any form of proper exercise but I wouldn’t dare ask him about it.

Anyways he has opened his own little gym and is letting me and Daniel join for next to nothing.
There isn’t a lot of equipment there and it’s really just three rooms, shower, gym changing facility and looks like it’s set up in an old garage.
It’s a million miles away from JJB’s and Fitness first and is frequented exclusively by men only.
I don’t mean gay men, I mean rough buggers from housing estates over the age of 30 who don’t speak and are there purely to make themselves look like they could kick sand in your face without you daring to react back.

When I used to go to Fitness first people dressed to impress, even though they were sweating like pigs, they wore the right uniform of expensive trainers, track suits, I-pods and all.
These lot look like they just stepped off a building site and the only music you hear comes from an old cassette and speakers in the corner. The Jam, The Specials, UB40 and Sex Pistols were tonight's treats from the past.
Perhaps they ain’t in their 30`s, maybe they are in their 50`s.

We went for the first time today and kept our heads down, it was a bit intimidating at first but once they knew we were friends of the owner it was ok.
I’m not sure I will be going there alone though.
The fantasy of getting in the shower with this type of man might not be as exciting as the reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sounds like a place where they also lift weights with their teeth. A bit of advice - don't wear any colour but grey and black, or dark blue.

Michael said...

So you no Pink then ?