Thursday 23 July 2009

No time for a quick one

When they advertise jobs in the paper they are always very vague about pay. "good rates of pay" can mean anything and it's not until you jump through hoops before you get to know whether it was a waste of time or not. I was offered that job i attended an interview for a few days ago. But when we talked money, suddenly it all seemed to come with strings and the words "up to" and "if you work hard enough" came into play.
I decided to turn it down. They led me up the garden path and convinced me i was gonna be on more. If they do that before you have even started then i think my whole job prospects at this place are doomed before we begin.

I saw Daniel for about half an hour tonight and spoke to Jack on the phone for ten minutes at lunch time. I feel like i am working all the time. I get about an hour after i get home from work in the afternoon to eat and change and then i'm off to the next place before getting home late and feeling too knacked to do anything other than crash out on the sofa and watch telly.
I fell asleep watching TV last night and woke up and 2am, still fully clothed, TV on, lights on and a plate on the floor with left over food i had finished eating before nodding off.
And this will make you smile but horrifies me. For the first time since i can ever remember i never had a wank.
This is unheard of for me. There is not a day goes by without me knocking one off. Even if it's just a quickly. This job is affecting my sex life and i don't like it(LOL).

Rachel rang and told me that she went to a 50th birthday party for a work colleague the other night and it was fancy dress. Everyone had to go dressed as a pirate. Don't ask me why, it was some kind of in joke that only staff know about.
She didn't fancy the idea of dressing up like everyone else so she pretended that she had misheard and went dressed as a pilot, complete with goggles, scarf and jodhpurs.
That is typical of her. If i had done that everyone would have thought i was a twat, but i suspect they pissed themselves at her personal little in joke.

3 comments:

Antony said...

Sounds like your working too hard lol if you've no time for a wank.

Hugs,

A x

naturgesetz said...

In "Pirate of Penzance" the mishearing goes the other way, and young Frederic gets apprenticed to a pirate.

Congrats on being able to go without wanking. It's all so unnecessary.

Seth said...

When you go for a job, after your discussion, when you get down to money, you MUST get a clear answer from them. Will you make $x an hour from day one? How do they structure raises, merit or length of time, frequency, etc. Exactly how many hours guaranteed per week? (obviously give or take a few). Overtime? Schedule - steady, flexible?

Obviously some "well sure if you work harder you can make more" - but you have to lay down an absolute from the beginning, and don't hold them to anything above that. If they are not willing to make an offer and stick by it, probably not the right place to work.

Of course, there are labor laws I'm sure in the UK - not sure exactly how things work over there, but you get the idea.

Cheers.